AD1888 AC97 codec

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 22 07:47:21 PST 2005

On Mar 22, David Cross wrote:
> I am having some trouble with a machine with an AD1888 AC97 codec.
> Searching the list I see that all I need to do is to move the speaker
> connection from speaker to microphone.  It works.. but windows actually
> has the sound come out the designated speaker.  Now as much as I don't
> use windows on this machine it seems to indicate that we are in fact
> doing something wrong.

	Weird stuff.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on what should be done?  I've been looking
> at the AC97 drivers and it looks pretty simple, is all that is missing
> are references for the AD1888?

	I don't know, and I'm not sure if there's anybody around right
now who does, so experimentation is required.
	Look in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c, you'll notice
there's a structure with codec_id and an optional 'patch' functions,
maybe the ad19xx patch is what is required.
	You can consider the alsa code a cheat sheet. :)
	--Mat