Massive sound changes / fix (24/32bit pcm support, new

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Wed Jul 13 21:13:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:44:24 -0400
Mathew Kanner <mat at cnd.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On Jul 13, Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:02:33 +0200
> > raoul megelas <rmgls at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > after applying the patch (July, 8), i notice regular
> > > pops when adjusting the mixer for any input or output.
> > > Is it related to the hardware (ich5), or the driver.
> > > I does not know.  Any idea to help?
> > > thanks a lot.
> > >

> > Is the volume level change in a drastic manner or gradually?
>
> 	Sounds like a locking issue.  Writting to the device while
> another thread is already writting to the device.  I don't know this
> hardward but have seen this on others.
> 	--Mat

(hey welcome back!)

I hope so... But one thing about intel ac97 standard itself is stupid
incompatibility across different vendor. I'm afraid his problem is
because of incorrect mixer resolution detection. ac97.c (line 629)
trying its best to calculate *exact* resolution although already
predefined up there. In any case, we can simply ignore it and carry on
with predefined value (the detection mechanism should be fine though).

sigh.. I really hope it's about locking issue, which is easier to
mitigate as compare with that.

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD