ESS Maestro3 no sound

Muzaffar Ariff mus.bsd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 09:03:21 GMT 2005

After much searching on how to do the patching I think i got it right,
but it still does not solve my problem. Here is what I did:

1. Tired to use the patch command and didn't work, because it can't
find line 1023  in the original maestro3.c (on my machine). I knew
about this but just gave it a try, hoping that I don't have to go the
long way :-)

2. Went to locate my sound driver modules and found it in
/usr/src/sys/modules/sound/driver/maestro3. Use to the make command to
see what it does.
*Q1: Is this the source code for the maestro3?

3. I then located and modified my maestro3.c file in
/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/maestro3.c (before that made a copy of the
old one). Add and commenting out the stuff that you suggested.

4. went back to ~/sound/driver/maestro3 and recompiled it again. It
compiled without a problem and I then loaded the module by using
#kldload snd_driver. Look up /dev/sndstat and it showed the same thing
as before:

Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xd800 irq 5 kld snd_maestro3
(4p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

5. Restarted my machine by having snd_maestro3_load="YES" loaded into
/boot/loader.conf

6. Tried using xmms and the same problem happened, the xmms plays the
song but with no sound. Looked at /var/run/dmesg.boot to see what went
wrong and it output the same problem:

pci0: <bridge, PCI-unknown> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xf3ffe000-0xf3ffffff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
pcm0: failed: rid 0x10 is ioport, requested 3

Q2: Now I might have compiled the code right but did I load the module
correctly? (i seem to be at the same conclusion, so I'm guessing it
didn't load).
Q3: If this does not work do I need to tweek the source to make my
card work? If so
looking at the code I don't know where to begin :(

Hopeless and confuse

Muzaffar Ariff

--
Muzaffar Ariff