Looking for Mini-ATX board with good video grabbing performance?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Sat Jul 2 16:36:50 GMT 2005

Dear subscribers

I'm currently working on a video recording device for one of my customers.
The basic task is to have a fiber optic camera with a composite video output
connected to the recording device which grabs and stores the output of the
camera.

My idea is to use a mini-ATX motherboard and a touch sensitive TFT-screen
all wrapped up in a custom made boxing. So far I have used the Lex MV823A
motherboard (http://www.lex.com.tw), equipped with a Philips SAA7113H, but
I've got some indications that maybe the performance of this card, regarding
it's video grabbing performance, isn't good enough. Therefore I hope that
maybe I can get some suggestions of hardware with better performance.

It's possible to consider a solution with a dedicated video grabbing card
and a mini-ATX board without grabbing abilities assuming that it remains
physically compact. The solution should be carried around so it should be as
light and compact as possible.

Another request is that the hardware should have god support in Linux or
FreeBSD (or another free OS).

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander