Which USB-Soundcards work?

Kazuhito HONDA kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp
Sun Feb 6 21:41:38 PST 2005

From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
Subject: Re: Which USB-Soundcards work?
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 03:27:49 +0100 (CET)

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:50:13 +0900 (JST), Kazuhito HONDA wrote:
>
> > > play channel supported format list invalid
> > > pcm1: chn_init(pcm1:play:0) failed: err = 19
> > > pcm1: pcm_chn_create(ua_chan, 1, 0xc19f4a80) failed
> > > record channel supported format list invalid
> > > pcm1: chn_init(pcm1:record:0) failed: err = 19
> > > pcm1: pcm_chn_create(ua_chan, -1, 0xc19f4a80) failed
>
> > These look like the same problem as below:
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=246398+0+archive/2004/freebsd-usb/20041231.freebsd-usb
>
> So, the reason which you gave was not the real reason why it
> did not work -- it seems to just need the multiple-endpoints
> enabled, which appears to work for playback, and does not seem
> to affect my other uaudio device negatively, though I have not
> played too much with that.  It could also be that I need to
> apply that patch for other reasons, but playback works without
> it, as opposed to not working at all.

I understand that those have the same messages,
but they must come from different reasons,
because my problem was not resolved by enabled multiple-endpoints.

> In addition, when I try to record anything, my program writes the
> file header, and then nothing.  It's not timing out waiting for data
> as would be the case when I try to record from s/pdif input but no
> source.

I don't have NX, but one NetBSD developer Kent has it,
and show me the complicated structure diagram which he analyzed.
Now I look into it and NetBSD's `mixerctl' output,
> record.sel14-i12i13i11=2  [ 1 2 3 ]
NX was set to record a source from DIGITALAUIFC input (s/pdif, probably).
If record.sel14-i12i13i11 is changed to 1,
it may be able to record a source from Line in.

> In order to unmute the audio, I tried and failed to tie that
> mixerctl to a FreeBSD sysctl knob,

Oh, I couldn't have that idea to use FreeBSD sysctl knob
when my coding.  It's a nice idea,
and mixer system for USB audios should be.

> There are a few dials and buttons on this Audigy 2 NX as well, but
> unlike my other Big Knob soundcard, nothing appears as a uhid
> device.

My Sound Blaster Live! 24bit External has the same behaver.
These dials and buttons may require a peculiar driver,
because they can't use with the general USB audio driver
of Windows 2000.  And it has a hardware mute button,too.
Though this can switch on mute, it can't switch off.
So this mute may be able to be switched off only from OSs.

Thanks,
Kazuhito HONDA