Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

Steven S. steven at 403forbidden.net
Sat Feb 5 10:20:35 PST 2005

> Simply modify dvd_ntsc_profile in cxm.c, recompile, and reload the module.
> Some suggested bitrate values are:
>
> 	{ 0, 9000000, 9520000 }, /* 1 hour on 4.7 GB media */
> 	{ 0, 4000000, 4520000 }, /* 4 hours on 8.54 GB media */

Cool, I need to do some coding, i want to try using sysctl's for setting
these rather than hardcoding it in the module.

excellent points below but in my case my machine is headless so no X
server, has plenty of free ram and writes out to a hardware raid array.
It just records then I playback on other devices. I use a simple shell
script which freevo calls. All it does is this:

/usr/local/bin/buffer < /dev/cxm0 > $1 &

where $1 is the path passed from freevo.

I only tried using buffer after a previous recommendation on the list. It
might have helped or not.. i've no evidence either way.

I guess my next step is try to determine if the hardware raid might be
slowing things down just enough. I'll redirect the output to the system
disk and see what I get.