Sound card in FReeBSD 5.3

chris.kottaridis at windriver.com chris.kottaridis at windriver.com
Wed Feb 2 19:50:40 PST 2005

I just did an installation of FreeBSD 5.3. I folowed the steps in the
FreeBSD "Handbook" about sound cards and have the sound driver loading
at boot time as a loadable module. I can check the status of it OK:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xef40 irq 16 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/0v
channelsduplex default)

Also, when I log in via kdm and I get a nice little tune played as KDE
starts up.

However, I can't seem to get any of my video players, xine or aviplay to
get any sound to come out. I seem to be running devfs:

$ df /dev
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity  Mounted on
devfs              1    1     0   100%    /dev

I can't say I really understand the devfs "magic", but here are the devs
listed in /dev, I've added them at the end of this email if that helps.

What am I doing wrong that allows the device to be probed and kdm to
play a nice tune as kde comes up when I log in, but noen of my video
players can get any sound?

Any advice appreciated.

It was working fine on same machine when I was running 4.x.

    Chris Kottaridis    (chriskot at quietwind.net)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

$ ls /dev
acd0            audio0.2        dspr0.4         nsa0.0          ttyid0
acd0t01         audio0.3        dspr0.5         nsa0.1          ttyid1
acd0t02         audio0.4        esa0            nsa0.2          ttyld0
acd0t03         audio0.5        esa0.0          nsa0.3          ttyld1
acd0t04         bpsm0           esa0.1          null            ttyp0
acd0t05         cd0             esa0.2          pass0           ttyp1
acd0t06         console         esa0.3          pass1           ttyp2
acd0t07         consolectl      fd              pci             ttyp3
acd0t08         ctty            fd0             ppi0            ttyp4
acd0t09         cuaa0           fido            psm0            ttyv0
acd0t10         cuaa1           geom.ctl        ptyp0           ttyv1
acd0t11         cuaia0          io              ptyp1           ttyv2
acd0t12         cuaia1          kbd0            ptyp2           ttyv3
acd0t13         cuala0          klog            ptyp3           ttyv4
acd0t14         cuala1          kmem            ptyp4           ttyv5
acd0t15         devctl          log             random          ttyv6
ad0             devstat         lpt0            sa0             ttyv7
ad0s1           dsp0.0          lpt0.ctl        sa0.0           ttyv8
ad0s1a          dsp0.1          mdctl           sa0.1           ttyv9
ad0s1b          dsp0.2          mem             sa0.2           ttyva
ad0s1c          dsp0.3          mixer0          sa0.3           ttyvb
ad0s1d          dsp0.4          net             sa0.ctl         ttyvc
ad0s1e          dsp0.5          net1            sndstat         ttyvd
ad0s1f          dspW0.0         net2            stderr          ttyve
agpgart         dspW0.1         net3            stdin           ttyvf
ata             dspW0.2         net4            stdout          urandom
atkbd0          dspW0.3         network         sysmouse        xpt0
audio0.0        dspW0.4         nfs4            ttyd0           zero
audio0.1        dspW0.5         nsa0            ttyd1