Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Feb 2 15:20:22 PST 2005

On 2/2/2005 10:34 AM Michael Johnson wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

>>> That's kind of what I suspected...everyone is pretty sure it will
>>> work fine, but no one wants to out-right guaranty it :) But unless I
>>> hear any real negative feedback from others, I think my mind is made
>>> up on the PVR-250.
>>
>> I've been watching this thread as I am interested in building such a
>> setup also. Can anyone comment on whether the 350 offers any benefit
>> over the 250? As I understand it, the 350 also includes a hardware
>> decoder for MPEG-2 playback. Is this any significant advantage? My
>> PVR will be based on an 1gz AMD Athlon.
>
> That is the only advantage the 350 has over the 250, hardware MPEG-2
> decoder.
> It doesn't take much CPU power to decode MPEG-2.
>
>> Also, I have a wide screen HDTV. Does anyone know of any cards that
>> support the wide screen HDTV resolutions? Although I've found tuner
>> cards (no hardware encoder) that support this, I haven't come across
>> any PVR cards.
>
> There is only a handful that mytvtv supports, and there is no freebsd
> driver (yet)
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1 , scroll down the the
> HDTV part.
> If you get one of those cards you will need to get it before July 1st
> if you are in the USA.
> After July 1 they will be illegal to sell until they respect the HD
> broadcast flag.

Thanks for the reply.  I reviewed the pcHDTV 3000 and the Air2PC cards.
Any recommendations of one over the other?  Seems like these would be
good additions for my system for capturing or time-shifting HDTV over
the air broadcasts.  However a PVR-250 is still needed for the day to
day work of capturing or time shifting my satellite reception.  Does
this make sense and can I run both cards?  If so, I'll build with the
PVR-250 first and then add the HDTV later (while keeping my eye on the
July 1 deadline).  :)

Thanks,

Drew

--