Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

Adam Maloney adam at whee.org
Tue Feb 1 11:29:58 PST 2005

I'm considering building a PVR setup at home, and I have some questions...

Ultimately, I'm after TiVo-like functionality...the ability to
watch/pause/30-second-skip live TV, and record shows.  I am leaning
towards using MythTV (but have some questions about that too)

I apologize if not all of these are 100% freebsd-related, but I'm hoping
others on this list have similar setups.

First, I'm looking for recommendations on TV capture and TV-out cards.
I'm strongly leaning towards the Hauppage PVR-250, since it appears to be
well-supported, and I may be doing capturing on a lower-end machine that
couldn't handle software encoding.  And I will probably run two cards so I
can watch/record simultaneously.

If I go with the Hauppage - where to buy?  And do I need to pay attention
to a particular hardware revision or if I buy the "PVR-250" will it just
work?

How about a source for remotes that will work with FreeBSD and MythTV?

I have a K6-2/350MHz machine laying around.  Is it fast enough, with the
right TV-out card, to be used as the feed for the TV?  That is, reading
and decoding the recorded video from the Hauppage?  How about with
MythTV's picture-in-picture feature (that is, decoding 2 streams, right?)
If not, my workstation is an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, but I'd have to run coax
upstairs...or buy another machine.

Does MythTV work well under FreeBSD?  I like what I'm reading about it,
but the documentation is very linux-centric.  I haven't found a lot of
information on running it under BSD.  There was a similar project I was
reading about the other day, but I forgot the name...is Myth the best
option?

I have what I consider 3 "sources" that feed picture into my TV - an Apex
DVD player, analog cable, and a Gamecube.  The TV has an RF input for
cable/antenna, and AV (RCA) inputs.  With my PVR box in the picture, how
would this all fit together?  Can I tell the Apex to output on channel 3,
and the TV-out card to output on channel 4, and then multiplex both
signals onto the RF-in on the TV?  (And then the GC on A/V)

Currently the cable plugs into RF-in (cable-ready TV, no cable box), and I
(well, the wifey) manually switch the AV jacks between the GC and the DVD
player.

If I connect the Apex into one of the PVR cards, can I feed through that
way?  I'm not interested in recording DVD's...I just want this to work.
Will the tuner card not work because of Macrovision?  (This isn't one of
the "good" Apexes (Apexi?))

I appreciate any pointers!