quality soundcard

Harry Coin harrycoin at qconline.com
Fri Aug 26 13:53:56 GMT 2005

>Message: 11
>Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 06:47:03 -0400
>From: Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org>
>Subject: Re: quality soundcard
>Thus spake Michael Nottebrock (lofi at freebsd.org) [26/08/05 01:49]:
>: > That being said, I'd really like to get native drivers for it.  So I'll
>: > prod again: is there anyone I can speak to about getting these drivers
>: > written?
>:
>: I still keep http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/envy24.tar.gz (unfinished,
>: non-working driver, not by me) and
>http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/envy24.pdf
>: around, in case someone wants to take that driver and finish it. In it's
>: current form, it doesn't even compile, but the fixes to make it compile are
>: rather trivial. The fixes necessary to make it *work* however are not
>and way
>: over my head.
>
>And on top of that, I do have more documents at my disposal that should make
>writing a driver fairly easy, for someone who knows how.
>
>But, like Michael, the work necessary is way over my head.

I added 'sound engineer' level support for a popular older chip  (complete
with amp analog and digital db references, total access to all signal paths
on the chip, etc.) a while ago and contributed it, but as I haven't heard
anything more about it (and I don't see it as part of the system
now)  either I screwed up some royal way I am unaware of, or sound and
video support really just are not a priority for freebsd-niks.  I even
wrote a man page for it.

Now, I'm new to all this *nix world and though I've spent a career writing
drivers for fussy chips it's my first go at freebsd, so maybe I have
violated some technical or social rule I just didn't know about and that's
why things are as they are.

But, if the traffic on list multi-media list is any indication, over
against the traffic on other lists, multimedia on freebsd seems a bit of a
lower-interest arena.

Harry