V4L2 shim (was: USB camera)

Christian Gusenbauer c47g at gmx.at
Thu Aug 25 20:06:25 GMT 2005

Hi Marco!

On Thursday, 25. August 2005 21:33, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:34:52 +0200
> Christian Gusenbauer <c47g at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> [talking about the v4l2 shim for fbsd]
>
> > I'm sorry, but currently I've no time to step forward and get it
> > running :-(.
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> could you give a short description of the status of your work?

Well, I think I implemented almost all of the v4l2 framework. Then I took the
FreeBSD bktr driver, separated the radio/tuner part and got it working as a
v4l2 aware driver, too. This driver registers with the framework and
a /dev/v4l2/radio0 entry is being created. I got fmtools-0.99.0 up and
running, too.

But there is a difference to the original Linux framework. AFAIR, in Linux,
one of the kernel structures holds the open file handle, but in FreeBSD
there's no place for it. So I changed the internals of the framework a bit,
but the API for the applications should be the same as for Linux.

What's missing is the video part. I had not enough specs about the v4l2
framework to get it running. And - what was the main problem for me - I did
not have time to rewrite the bktr driver as v4l2 driver. You know, no
information about the v4l2 framework and no information about the bktr driver
internals ... so I gave up.

> thanks
> marco

Ciao,