Help with tv tuner setup

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Thu Aug 11 06:25:19 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:14:10PM +0400, Karolis Tamutis wrote:
> Hello again. I've added this to my kernel config file:
>
> options BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL
>
> Now dmesg shows:
>
> %dmesg|grep bktr
> bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xe6000000-0xe6000fff irq 5 at device 9.0 on pci0
> bktr0: Leadtek Winfast TV 2000, Philips FR1216 PAL FM tuner.
>
> This time, it says PAL, but I feel it is still not right, because my
> tuner doesn't have FM radio!

have you tried to determine what kind of tuner is on the card,
besides just trying different values in hw.bt848.tuner?  checked
the manufacturer's site, or the linux driver, or google, or ...

> Also, I have tried most of sysctl hw.bt848.tuner values, even set
> hw.bt848.format to 0 as suggested - still no luck. Could it be, that
> europe-east frequency table is not right for me? The bad thing is that
> I don't have windows right now to see those frequencies that make this
> tuner show something. Last thing I could do is modify the source of
> something where these frequency tables are defined..

where do you get the 'europe-east' channelset from?  there is no
such thing in bktr.  there is CHNLSET_XUSSR, but I can't find a
listing for channels<->frequencies for lithuania to see if that is
correct.  if you can find such a frequency listing, see if one of
the CHNLSET_s as defined in sys/dev/bktr/bktr_tuner.c matches.
if one doesn't match, then you know where to add the right
definition :)

v4l has a much different tuning interface than bktr, so a lot of
v4l based programs just don't tune as expected.

if you are interested ...

I have a package of some small and simple tools for bktr in

http://www.jakemsr.com/bsdav/bsdav-1.3.tar.gz

if you would download, compile, and install it, and then run

$ bktrplay -n pal -s tuner &
$ tunerctl chanset=xussr channel=1

in an xterm.  I would be interested to know what that produces.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>