Hardware recommendations for a multimedia box

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 10:04:02 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to getting a new machine that will be
primarily for multimedia.  Here's some of the components I'm
considering:

	Soyo K7VKPE M/B - KT600 Chipset w/ AMD Athlon XP 2800+
	1 GB DDR PC2700 333Mhz RAM (2 x 512MB)
	Matrox G550 Video Card w/ 32MB DDR/DVI & VGA
	Hauppauge PVR350 w/remote

I don't do video gaming of any sort.  Its main use will be for
viewing DVD's and recording TV broadcasts (a la freevo).

It appears that the Matrox G550 is supported:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2005-January/001511.html

I looked in the "xorgconfig" utility but didn't see it listed by
the "G550" designation.  Is it the "Matrox Millenium" driver?

I searched the archives but didn't find anything indicating that the
tv-out function was working under FreeBSD.  Is this still the case?

I'm also thinking that the Hauppauge PVR350 is fully working at
this point.  Am I mistaken on this?

Any suggestions, pointers or alternate hardware suggestions would
be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Randy