TV Tuner Card support under FreeBSD

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Mon Nov 8 11:53:24 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 02:40:33PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Saturday, 6. November 2004 10:21, Aaron Walker wrote:
> > I have access
> > to two tv tuner cards, one a VisionTek Xtasy Everything (Geforce 2 MX
> > 400 64M ViVo) and the other an ATI All In Wonder 128 (Rage 128 chipset
> > 16M).
>
> Both not supported by FreeBSD. The ATi All-in-Wonder cards are supported to
> some degree by XFree86/xorg drivers (without the need for additional kernel
> driver support) through the xvideo interface, but only very few tv-viewing
> applications support this API (I personally only know xawtv), and usually
> even that support is poor.

The All-in-Wonder cards are supported by the Gatos project, but I'm not
sure if the Gatos TV programs work in FreeBSD.

As far as support for this in XawTV, I doubt it.  I'm pretty sure XawTV
only supports bktr(4) and v4l(2).

BTW, XawTV would be more useful with bktr(4) (would be able to use all
the libavcodec formats available through libquicktime) if the bktr(4)
driver would also output yuyv instead of just uyuv as it's 16 bit packed
format.  This is really easy to add to the driver, but it would break
fxtv, because fxtv thinks it knows everything about bktr(4) and will
refuse to start if bktr(4) reports a format it doesn't know.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>