TV Tuner Card support under FreeBSD

JoséM.Fandiño freebsd at fadesa.es
Mon Nov 8 08:14:46 PST 2004

Aaron Walker wrote:

> I'm getting some mixed signals on which TV Tuner cards are supported.
> First I see that only the BrookTree chipset is supported, but then I
> see references to Phillips chipset tuners in the manual. I have access
> to two tv tuner cards, one a VisionTek Xtasy Everything (Geforce 2 MX
> 400 64M ViVo) and the other an ATI All In Wonder 128 (Rage 128 chipset
> 16M). Obviously the Xtasy is the better card,

I have an AIW card and _I_think_ AIW card is best for TV because it
get live colors, scaling is done by hardware (from my tests bt based
cards has a maximun resolution of 768x576), and more important it
doesn't saturate the pci bus with rawvideo transfers (tunner and video
card are in the same board), during file transfers between disks I can
see as the TV image is slowed on BrookTree cards until the heavy disk
transfers finish.

> but are either of these
> supported under FreeBSD for TV Tuning, or would I be better off just
> leaving these two for some other flavor of Multimedia box?

To see TV programs just launch both tuners and decide by yourself with
which card you feel more conformable, for recording you will need the
BrookTree card.