Hauppauge WinTV PVR output streaming to web client ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Mar 27 21:31:59 PST 2004

>I have the WinTV 350 working great on my server and use it to record shows
>in mpg format often.  There are times however when I would like to view
>something live. Are there any FreeBSD apps that would let me stream the
>output directly from the card across the ethernet to my laptop which runs
>windows ? Ideally I would like to stream it to something like Real Player
>or Quicktime.  Are there any streaming servers on FreeBSD that could do this ?

Yes.  See, for example the "testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer" and
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" test programs that are distributed as part
of the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" source code distribution:
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>.  (See also
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput> for information about
how to feed these applications from live MPEG input.)

You can watch the (multicast) stream from these applications using
QuickTime Player, MPlayer, or (my favorite) VLC <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/>.

         Ross.