Does anyone compose music using any of the ports fromthe/ports/audio collection in FreeBSD?

Axel Auweter axel_auweter at pop1.scram.de
Tue Jul 13 08:31:33 PDT 2004

Hi,

I don't share your opinion, because I'm sort of disappointed by
FreeBSD's audio support. I use FreeBSD for all of my daily work, and I
love it, but concerning music production, it's not my first choice. I
read about Rosegarden-4 and it seems to be a real good piece of
software, but it requires ALSA and therefore doesn't run on FreeBSD.
AFAIK it has already been discussed that porting ALSA to FreeBSD seems
to be nearly impossible.

Does anybody know, whether there are any plans or ongoing projects to
create a better sound architecture for FreeBSD than OSS?

Axel