bktr device detection

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Fri Feb 13 16:21:04 PST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> I have a (three, four years old) Pinnacle PCTVpro (stereo TV/Radio)
> here, which isn't properly detected by the bktr driver:

> bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xdfbfe000-0xdfbfefff irq 11 at device 7.0 on pci3
> bktr0: Warning - card vendor 0x11bd (model 0x0012) unknown.
> bktr0: Detected a MSP3451G-A2 at 0x80
> bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic PAL tuner, msp3400c stereo.

> I need to manually set hw.bt848.tuner to 10 in order to make it work,
> but I still get no stereo sound and radio channel tuning doesn't work,
> so no radio either. Anything I can do or contribute to fix those issues?

%uname -a
FreeBSD yakko 5.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sat Feb  7
16:43:51 EST 2004     jamie at yakko:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/yakko  i386

This is from my kernel config:

device          bktr
options         OVERRIDE_TUNER=1
options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC
device          smbus           #Bus support, required for smb below.
device          ichsmb
device          iicbus
device          iicbb
device          iicsmb

and the following is from the dmesg:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xec001000-0xec001fff irq 17 at device 9.0 on
pci2
bktr0: Detected a MSP3451G-A2 at 0x80
bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner, msp3400c stereo.
pci2: <multimedia> at device 9.1 (no driver attached)

This is a Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI NTSC (North American) that I purchased
back in 2000.  I've never had trouble using it in 4.x or 5.x.

There are a bunch of kernel options for this driver that aren't documented
in NOTES, but the NOTES file does point you to the appropriate header
file(s) that do(es) document what the various options are and what they
do.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"