Music on Hold via FreeBSD Server

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Thu Dec 30 12:49:16 PST 2004

WMC wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have an existing FreeBSD 5.x server I'm trying to use to feed music or
> announcements on-hold into our phone system (yeah - I know the
> legalities of using copyrighted stuff.)
>
> I installed a sound card, wired it up, and hacked together a simple
> little script to run the mpg123 package to continuously playback a few
> mp3 files.
>
> Couple questions:
> * What command-line program would you suggest for playing uncompressed
> audio files in this scenario?  There are hundreds of entries in Ports,
> and I'd rather not spend a month trying them all.
>
> * Has anyone else done something similar to this, and would you care to
> share a script to keep it running continuously?
>
> -Thanks,
>      Wayne

I have one that I use for my 10mW FM station that I pipe around the
house.  It does back announcments, news, timechecks and is a bit smart
on what it plays.  You can see it at:

	http://www.lns.com/papers/playmp3s/

Tim
--
1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA // POTS: +1 415 665 3790
  GPG Fingerprint: 4821 CFDA 06E7 49F3 BF05  3F02 11E3 390F 8338 5B04