mplayer/mencoder with bktr(4) device

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Thu Aug 26 22:37:06 PDT 2004

I'm new to bktr, and I've got a few questions regarding mplayer/mencoder
usage with it.  I've got an AverMedia UltraTV PCI 350:

    bktr0 at pci2:11:0:	class=0x040000 card=0x00031461 chip=0x036e109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
        vendor   = 'Brooktree Corporation'
        device   = 'Bt878 MediaStream Controller'
        class    = multimedia
        subclass = video
    none0 at pci2:11:1:	class=0x048000 card=0x00031461 chip=0x0878109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
        vendor   = 'Brooktree Corporation'
        device   = 'Bt878/Fusion878A Video Capture (Audio Section)'
        class    = multimedia

I've got RCA in working just fine with mplayer, and both RCA and S-Video in
working with fxtv.  But I'm having some quality issues with the
de-interlacing of the S-Video input with mplayer -- can anyone give me some
pointers?  I've tried various -vf's (hqdn3d, lavcdeint, pp, and pullup seem
to be the best), but the picture is never quite as good as it is with fxtv.
And there's a noticable difference between RCA and S-Video (on fxtv), so I'd
like to get the latter working properly.

Secondly, how does one encode the audio with mencoder?  If I'm looking at
the above correctly, there's no support for the audio portion of this chip?
But it looks like, in fxtv, if I leave the audio set to 'Auto' (as opposed
to 'Internal'), I get two audio feeds...?

Any pointers or suggestions are welcome...

  - Damian