stdout from mplayer/mencoder?

Karl Jeacle karl at jeacle.ie
Thu Apr 29 12:30:25 PDT 2004

On Thu 29 Apr 04, 21:05:54 +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > 	mplayer -ao pcm -aofile /dev/stdout $RAFILE | lame - $MP3FILE
> > The problem is that the resulting MP3 file is just white noise. I'm not
> > sure what's going wrong. (I've tried specifying -r & -s lame flags.)
> But you haven't played with '-x', right?

I have actually, and I get audible sound, but it's as if I had taken the
original file and chopped it up into little bits and swapped them around.

I was hoping someone could supply a working command line example using
either mplayer or mencoder that did RA->MP3 in a single pipeline.

(Re:mencoder, it dumps core for almost anything I try with it, and using
 named pipes exhibit the same problem as the above pipe approach.)

Karl