Tuner Problems with Xawtv (but not fxtv)

Josh Elsasser jre at vineyard.net
Wed Apr 21 22:04:13 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:38:06AM +0200, Levi Masterson wrote:

> > I have the same problem with xawtv/motv and mplayer.  What is odd is
> > that these programs are setting the correct frequency, I have verified
> > this with fxtv, but the card still appears to not be tuning it
> > correctly.
> >
> > I have a quick workaround, but I want to investigate a little more and
> > find out what the real problem is before I start submitting patches.
> >
> >  -jre
> >

> It looks to me like fxtv relies on the tuner's (or drivers') knowledge of
> what acceptable channels are for the given locale, while xawtv/motv uses the
> aforementioned frequency lists.
>
> I'd have no problem using fxtv if I could figure out how to turn that ugly
> toolbar off, or get dtv to work (i.e. change channels).
>
> --Levi

Yes, both xawtx/motv and mplayer use frequencies directly, but that
should still work if the frequencies are correct.  I've tracked the
problem down to an actual bug in the bktr driver where a frequency
offset was taken from the current channel set.  If the program doesn't
use channels, then the wrong offset may be used.

I've worked around this by having xawtx/motv and mplayer choose a NTSC
or PAL channel set.  I also have a fix for the driver itself, but I
haven't tested it yet.

Try out this patch for xawtv/motv and tell me how it works for you:
http://www.elsasser.org/~joshe/xawtv-bktr-workaround.diff

 -jre