How to configure dual head & G550

Robert Froese froese at mtu.edu
Fri Sep 5 07:50:23 PDT 2003

I was successful configuring dual-head after much, much googling and some
excellent advice from a very small number of list members.  The lack of
documentation both on the XFree86 web site and the FreeBSD site was quite
discouraging.  While I find the handbook, for example, quite useful for
general concepts, there are few detailed technical references both published
and informal for FreeBSD.

What I did conclude:

First and foremost, the mgapdesk port does NOT work under 5.1-R.  It crashes X
every time.  You don't need it though.  To get dual-head to work on 5.1-R:

1) add the matrox linux hal driver - I think; I made a couple of simultaneous
changes so I'm not sure it was necessary
2) make appropriate changes to the XF86Config file

There's nothing else.  In my searches I came across references to "xinerama"
but after literally an hour trying to find ports/packages for FreeBSD I gave
up and guessed that it was enabled somewhere in FreeBSD by default.
Surprise!  Good guess; it was.  With xinerama you get a single KDE desktop
stretched across the two screens.

	...Robert

--
Robert Froese, RPF