How to make high quality MPEG4 video

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Sep 2 09:58:56 PDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:25:27 +0900 (JST)
sugiura at kt.rim.or.jp (Sugiura Shiro) wrote:

SS> Thank you.

	You're welcome.

SS> I tried to direct encode a sportscast like following:
SS>
SS> % ffmpeg -s 640x480 -tvstd ntsc -vcodec mpeg4 -b 2000 -acodec mp3 -ac
SS> 2 \
SS>   -ab 128 -f avi TV.avi
SS>
SS> It uses about 30% CPU on average.

	That seems too low. What version of FreeBSD are you running ?
There was an update merged to stable on 17 June this year that fixed a
nasty problem with the bktr sync signalling at full resolution YUV.

SS> Audio stream is OK, but Video stream playbacks 2-3X speed, like
SS> Charles
SS>  Chaplin movies.

	That could also be caused by not having the up to date bktr code.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun