missing /dev/midi with CMI8738

T.M. Sommers tms2 at mail.ptd.net
Mon Oct 27 01:43:07 PST 2003

Mathew Kanner wrote:
> On Oct 13, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
>>T.M. Sommers wrote this message on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:13 -0400:
>>
>>>-> cat /boot/loader.conf
>>>snd_pcm_load="YES"              # Digital sound subsystem
>>>snd_cmi_load="YES"              # cmi
>>
>>This is for digital sound only, not for midi.
>>

>>>Another device is using irq 9, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it?
>>>
>>>ohci0: <AcerLabs M5237 (Aladdin-V) USB controller> mem
>>>0xeb800000-0xeb800fff irq 9 at device 2.0 on pci0
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any ideas about how to get midi working?  Thanks.
>>
>>It looks like midi isn't a loadable module, but you can try to recomile
>>your kernel with:
>>device	seq
>>device	midi
>>
>>and that should give you the necessary devices to do midi.  I haven't
>>used this, so I'm not sure it'll work, but give it a try.  Hope it helps
>>you!
>

> 	The stock midi drivers has nothing for cmi.  I've posted links
> to my driver which does support cmi.

Thanks.  I did not find it myself because I was searching for CMI8738,
not cmi.

Unfortunately, when I try to load it, it fails:

-> kldload snd_cmi
kldload: can't load snd_cmi: File exists

which seems odd.  kldload(2) is returning -1.

kldunload does not work, either:

-> kldunload snd_cmi
kldunload: can't find file snd_cmi: No such file or directory