Which FreeBSD Version for Video Capture/Playback?

Brian Skrab brian at quynh-and-brian.org
Fri Nov 7 11:02:53 PST 2003

I'm interested in doing a bit of video recording via a brooktree capture card,
and am wondering which FreeBSD version (5.1-CURRENT or 4.9-STABLE) those
in-the-know recommend for this purpose.  It seems to me that the majority
multimedia development being done for FreeBSD is finding its way into the
-CURRENT source tree, while similar features are sometimes available for
-STABLE systems in the form of an unofficial patch, if at all.  Assuming
that's true, I'm leaning toward using a -CURRENT system, but I'd like to get
the opinion of those on the list who have their own experience to draw from.

The video hardware that I plan to use includes:

	Pinnacle PCTV Pro capture card
	NVIDIA GeForce 5200FX Ultra w/S-video out <-- Might like to use this.

I guess the basic question that I wish to pose is:  Which version of FreeBSD
better supports this hardware, and the software to use it?  Any
recommendations, anecdotes, opinions, tips, or gotchas will be very much
appreciated.

Thank you,

~brian