bktr / pinnacle pctv rave / does not show tv images

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Thu Nov 6 16:25:46 PST 2003

Arne Wörner wrote this message on Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 15:45 -0800:
> --- John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at efn.org> wrote:
> > Arne Wörner wrote this message on Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 14:21 -0800:
> > > The bktr driver does not detect the tuner automatically so I fixed it by
> > > BKTR_OVERRIDE_TUNER to a Philips PAL, although I do not know which tuner
> > > they sold me (I am in Germany and I have heard that PAL is quite common
> > > here). The antenna line is working... :-)
> >
> > you need to pull the card out of the case, and look at the tunner, and
> > match it up, and put in the proper override.  Since you're not sure
> > if it's a Philips or something else, this is probably your problem. If
> > you don't override to the proper tuner, fxtv and other apps will not
> > be able to tune the tuner to the channel you request.
> >
> The tuner says "Pinnacle Systems" (no PHILIPS; no TEMIC)... :-(( Pinnacle says

That is the manufacturer of the card, not the tuner...  Unless they
have started manufacturing tuners, but I doubt it..

> they use a CONEXANT CN878 (but this is not the tuner; I hope this is a
> BROOKTREE 878).

That is not the tuner, but the decoding chip that decodes the data
from the tuner..

> I tried both TEMIC_PAL and PHILIPS_PAL. And both do not work.
>
> I think the bktr driver does not handle the [new] "chip set" of the Pinnacle
> Rave as it wants to be handled...

post a photo of the card some where, and maybe I can identify the
tuner, but again, you need to get the manufacturer of the tuner, the
metal box that has the antenna plug on it.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579