AC'97 Audio CODEC (oboard ECS K7VMM+) / multiple simultaneous record streams

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Mon Dec 29 10:07:02 PST 2003

Arne Wörner wrote this message on Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 13:14 -0800:
> I would like to know if FreeBSD 5.1 and the sound card "AC'97 Audio CODEC
> (onboard ECS K7VMM+)" (further information
> http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7vmm_plus.html) support multiple simultaneous
> record streams with only one audio card.

First, can you do this with Windows?

I doubt that your sound card even supports this.  Most sound cards only
have a single ADC (analog to digital converter) and the mixer mixes the
various inputs and feeds that to the ADC.  If the card does not have
multiple ADC's (most don't), then there is no chance that FreeBSD will
support it since the hardware is not capable.

Take a look at the block diagram for the VIA VT8235 audio part and see
if it lists multiple ADC's.  If they do, then it might be possible, but
will probably require driver work.

> I would like to record the internal CD-audio plug signal to file A, while I
> record the line-in signal to file B, and while I record the mic signal to file
> C.

If you have a CD, you might as well use something like dagrab to grab
the raw audio rather than having the CD player convert it to analog, and
then have your sound card convert it back to digital..

Then you can continue to record on line in...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579