The latest WINE and /dev/mixer*

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 27 12:00:22 PST 2003

On Dec 25, Travis Poppe wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've recently been playing Max Payne on FreeBSD 5.2-RC with the latest WINE (works like a charm, very minor glitches.)
>
> However, sound does not work, nor does it work on any other game I've tried. WINE spits out this message, and I believe this has something to do with why sound doesn't work:
>
> err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer0: can't read info!
> err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: can't read info!
> err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer0: can't read info!
> err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer1: can't read info!
>
> I actually hacked some of the code to get it to point to /dev/mixer0 instead of /dev/mixer, which didn't help, anyway.
>
> My permissions are good to go as well.
>
> Any ideas?
	Travis,

	A brief look at the wine source shows that they are relying on
the SOUND_MIXER_INFO ioctl if defined.  We define it but we don't
support it, they could change their source to make it a non-fatal
error.
	We can't easily implement the ioctl because we don't carry
specific device string info with the mixer device.  (nor any of the
other fields in the struct mixer_info)

	An easy hack would be to #undef SOUND_MIXER_INFO at the top of
wine/dlls/winmm/wineoss/audio.c (but after the includes)

	Good luck, and if it works, please submit a PR with the patch
for the wine port.

	thanks,
	--Mat
--
		Applicants must also have extensive knowledge of UNIX,
	although they should have sufficiently good programming