does FreeBSD 3.5.1 support soundcards?

Karl Papadantonakis kp at caltech.edu
Sun Dec 7 16:52:37 PST 2003

I did try adding "controller snd0", etc. and "controller pcm0" (not at the
same time) to my kernel config, and recompiling the kernel.

Do I have to scrounge up a card with an es1371 chipset in it?
That seems to be the only PCI card that ever worked in FreeBSD3, according
to the soundcard list webpage:

http://freebsd.lanfear.com/scdb.html

Which "sound devices" to I have to enable for sampled-sound playback
through /dev/dsp? Do I have to download anything, or is it enough to
modify my kernel config file and recompile?

Thanks again,

Karl Papadantonakis
email:  kp at caltech.edu
web:    http://www.async.caltech.edu/~kp/