FreeBSD-based PVR?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sat Aug 9 05:49:27 PDT 2003

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:35:58 -0700
Lars Eggert <larse at ISI.EDU> wrote:

LE> Steve,
LE>
LE> I've pulled the latest CVS sources for MythTV and Freevo in the hopes
LE> of generating ports.
LE>
LE> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
LE> > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:22:44 -0700
LE> > Lars Eggert <larse at ISI.EDU> wrote:
LE> > LE> Linux has MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) and
LE> >
LE> > 	I started work on a port of that, but there's no xmltv feed
LE> > for my cable service and the dependency list is ludicrous for a PVR,
LE> > it's all bleeding edge dependencies too :(
LE>
LE> MythTV seems to come with its own hacked ffmpeg pieces, and seemed
LE> harder to port (for the five minutes I looked at it.)

	Your impression is correct - there are hacked ffmpeg pieces,
hacked NuppelVideo pieces and way too many bleeding edge dependencies.
Last time I played with it it took me the best part of a day to get the
dependencies installed and they broke some things I use :(

	If you want to port it I have some useful pieces (like most of the
bktr interface). The C++ was driving me nuts.

LE> > 	There was the start of a port some time ago (I've just looked
LE> > and it hasn't moved) I'll pull the latest version and see if I can
LE> > get the port updated and finished.
LE>
LE> If you have a pointer to it, maybe we can pool efforts? I had started

	It's in http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/ - but it's seriously
out of date (pkg-comment was still in use).

	I've made some progress - the current state of the art is
on ftp.sohara.org in /pub/freevo.tgz.

	I've hit a little nasty called runapp - it uses linux/a.out.h :(

	I'll let you know if/when I make progress with it.

LE> to do a port locally, but if there is an existing attempt, it makes
LE> sense to work off that instead.

	We seem to be in different timezones (I'm in the Netherlands at
the moment) so you're probably just about thinking of waking up as I
write this.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun