bktr on 5.1, Pinnacle PCTV Pro (PAL)

Phil Pennock pdp+freebsd at nl.demon.net
Tue Aug 5 07:59:14 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting a bktr device working.  The system is FreeBSD
5.1, custom kernel to get bktr in natively -- when used as a module,
complaints were sent to dmesg about being unable to allocate memory.
I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

The card is a Pinnacle PCTV Prof PAL-BG/I/DK/SECAM for Retail in
D/GB/NL; I'm using it in NL.  The controller is a Conexant CN878; I
looked into this before buying the card and found that Pinnacle bought
Miro and Conexant bought Brooktree.  I think.

If I run xawtv(1), there are repeated complaints (about every second)
saying "bktr: sigalrm".  I just get static when trying to tune.  I've
tried using "sysctl hw.bt848.tuner=<nnn>" for 1..13, with
hw.bt848.card=1.  I've explicitly set "PAL" in xawtv.

Incoming signal is from the local cable provider, going to the "TV"
input.  I've also tried fxtv(1), setting both Antenna and Cable.

Original dmesg was:
 bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xfb000000-0xfb000fff at device 15.0 on pci0
 pcib0: slot 15 INTA is routed to irq 11
 bktr0: Warning - card vendor 0x11bd (model 0x0012) unknown.
 bktr0: Detected a MSP3410G-B11 at 0x80
 bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Philips PAL I tuner, msp3400c stereo.
 pci0: <multimedia> at device 15.1 (no driver attached)

I saw the 0x11bd and compared it to sys/dev/bktr/bktr_card.c's
definition:
 #define PCI_VENDOR_PINNACLE_ALT 0xBD11
which was in a section noting that it was an unconfirmed value.  So I
changed the definition to 0x11BD and rebuilt, to get:
 bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xfb000000-0xfb000fff at device 15.0 on pci0
 pcib0: slot 15 INTA is routed to irq 11
 bktr0: Detected a MSP3410G-B11 at 0x80
 bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Philips PAL I tuner, msp3400c stereo.
 pci0: <multimedia> at device 15.1 (no driver attached)

The pci0 with no driver is, I suspect, the FM Radio tuner?

When googling and examining list archives, I saw posts showing more
attachments, of I2C stuff, onto the BT878 bus controller.  Obviously,
I'm not getting that; I've expanded the options in my kernel config so
that I now have:
 device          bktr
 options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL
 device          iicbus
 device          iicbb
 device          smbus
 device          iic
 device          ic
 device          iicsmb
 device          smb

Still nothing more being reported; in fact, the second dmesg above is
from a kernel built with those options.

I haven't actually tested the antenna with a normal TV to be sure of a
signal, but we _believe_ it works fine; the absense of dmesg reports
about the iic stuff leads me to suspect that I've missed something in my
kernel config ...

Any pointers very much appreciated.  Thanks,
--
Phil Pennock,  Senior Systems Administrator,  Demon Internet Netherlands
NL Sales: +31 20 422 20 00      Thus Plc      NL Support: 0800 33 6666 8