Create Extigy

Derek Young DerekYoung at easy.com
Sat Apr 19 01:28:50 PDT 2003

>Do you already know
>about 'http://www.cs.umass.edu/~cochran/'?
>(link from 'http://opensource.creative.com/')
>
>18.04.2003; 23:41:12
>[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/

Couple issues.. one the guy created a /dev/ir
device... which isn't accurate because the extigy
has a knob on the front which you turn that
adjusts the volume in the software of your
computer. That isn't IR :-P not to mention
various other multimedia control type devices
might show up in the next few years.

No dolby surround sound.

He doesn't know how to update the firmware.... I
do. I might figure out something where the person
downloads the latest firmware and put it in
the /ports/distfiles (a la, java).

The linux usb and sound support is not exactly
like ours.

It can only play at 48KHz..

Writing this driver is a huge task, however it is
much more simple than it looks. Right now on my
laptop I have one of those crappy Intel ICH3
sound cards, that won't work at all. I am really
not capable of pulling out equipment to open up
my laptop and sniff pci data going to it while
windows XP uses it.

The Extigy (or other USB devices) you can run
snoop usb and log everything that happens.
Compare that log to what FreeBSD does, and you
can see your problem.

However, there is a ton of things supported by
the Extigy that I think might just be software.
With CMMS on playing a mp3 takes around 10% of my
CPU. Heh.

easy.com
This message was sent from the free private e-mail service by easy.com, the portal site owned by Stelios and the easyGroup. This email service is available to all members of the public to use for personal reasons only.  Not all subscribers to this e-mail service are representatives of an easyGroup company.