Banshee 1.5 in the FreeBSD ports tree.

Romain Tartière romain at blogreen.org
Wed Jun 3 10:31:35 UTC 2009

Hi Florent!

I saw you blog post [1] yesterday about banshee 1.5.0, but only realised
now that it has been committed to the FreeBSD ports tree [2] after
reading a message [3] on the mono@ mailing list.

However, as writing in the announcement, 1.5.0 is the first beta of what
will become 1.6 [4], and as you spotted out, it misses at least a
working database upgrade code...

For this reason, I would suggest to revert banshee to the latest stable
1.4.3 release and provide the 1.5.0 release as multimedia/banshee-devel,
displaying an informational message such as the following before
installing:

| If you are upgrading Banshee from the 1.4.x serie, note that this BETA
| version of the media player cannot handle the old database scheme and
| at the time of writting, no upgrade procedure is available (this may
| be fixed in a future BETA release).
| After installing, remove the ~/.config/banshee-1/ directory and
| re-import your music library.

Please note that I have not installed 1.5.0 (Yet) so the message may
have to be adjusted accordingly.

Kind regards,
Romain