Failed to compile mono-2.4.2.1 on FreeBSD 6.2 Release

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 16:41:55 UTC 2009

> In a private mail you send to me a few minutes before / after this one,
> you say you tested in a VM.  This may be a hint!  Jails are known to
> have a default configuration too restrictive for compiling / running
> mono.  We added a line about it in the pkg-message file recently:
>> * If you are in a jailed environment, ensure System V IPC are enabled.
>>   You can rely on the security.jail.sysvipc_allowed  sysctl to check
>>   this status.  The following enables this feature on the host system:
>>     # echo "jail_sysvipc_allow=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf

It is quite possible that Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac OS X Leopard
(actually, I must have installed this under 2.0 and upgraded to 3.0...
a lot could have changed...) is the problem. "For fun" I may try
re-installing 6.2 from scratch on a new VM and seeing how mono-2.4.2.2
compiles, out of the box, with less changes (I'll skip KDE install for
example) so at least my steps are reproducible. And the rc.conf change
you mention may help if mono doesn't work.

> What VM are you using? Do you know some way a shell script may detect if
> the underlying OS is running on such a VM?  It would be good to be sure
> that this VM is not suitable for installing / using mono are find out
> any configuration option that might do the trick.

I don't know of anything like this, but it certainly doesn't mean such
a detection cannot be made.

Strangely, Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac OS X Leopard was successful
building and running Mono 2.4.2.2 on a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.2
last night (hurray!), so that's good news since it solves my original
problem, deploying Mono on (any) new-ish FreeBSD. I'll be around to
make more attempts with FreeBSD 6.2 since it could benefit someone
else somewhere, but I'm glad 7.2+2.4.2.2 did the trick.

  Jared.