Dell E6330

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jul 27 19:03:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> El día Sunday, July 27, 2014 a las 10:56:26AM -0700, Adrian Chadd escribió:
>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops
>>
>> Please add it and all the details you have!
>
> I went to the page (and I will later add the details of the bunch of
> laptops and netbooks I have), but ... there are 11 (eleven!!!) laptops
> only :-(
>
> the page I was talking about, the laptop compat list, had hundreds, I
> think; the page is down for years now and I tried to get in contact to
> the folks running the database with web frontend to get at least the
> data in some structured way and put them somewhere on my web space...

http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd

DNS is not resolving for it now.  Several years ago, it had been down
for a while, but I managed to contact the admin and they restarted it.
There were problems with spammers, but it was often useful.

Really, we need a program that identifies hardware and reports the
drivers available.  There may be something out there already which we
could use, like HDT: http://hdt-project.org/

Right now, for example, end users have no easy way of telling which
wireless driver they need, or whether their card is supported at all.

The results of a detection program could be submitted to a web page
which others could check.