On the road with HEAD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 21 19:51:23 UTC 2012

On 3/21/2012 3:10 AM, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> At Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:22:41 -0700,
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM,  <gnn at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I decided to blog about my experiences using only HEAD and my X220
>>> laptop while on the road in Japan for 11 days.  The blog is here:
>>>
>>> http://nywalkinggeek.tumblr.com/
>>
>> Thanks for posting the pointer to your blog.
>>
>> So you're saying that you can suspend and resume the X220? Your blog
>> does not really say too much about where feature support is with HEAD,
>> though it must be pretty good. I have not run HEAD since 7 was
>> released, but if HEAD handles my ThinkPad enough better, I'll go for
>> it. (Guess I should install the KMS patches and get away from VESA,
>> too.)
>>

> I can't suspend/resume, but the fact is that startup/shutdown are now
> so fast that it doesn't bother me too much.

First, I think this writeup that you're doing is very cool, thank you
for doing it! Anything we can do to get more people using HEAD is great.

Second, I am glad to hear that you feel that the startup/shutdown times
are "fast enough." The fact that our suspend/resume support needs
improvement is one of the reasons I pound the drum so hard to squeeze
every bit of speed out of the boot process.

> I have not yet tried the
> KMS patches, but may try them by the end of AsiaBSD.
>
>> And thanks so much for working on fixing up FUSE! I really need
>> ntfs-3g (or some read/write NTFS support) and use it for a few other
>> things on occasion.
>
> I haven't tried that particular port yet, and I need to get the FUSE
> stuff into HEAD soon.  Probably should not commit at a conference
> but...

I'd like to add security/truecrypt to the list of "please try" FUSE
consumers. Thanks to Ryan's excellent efforts it is working on FreeBSD,
but it's heavily tied to FUSE so it would be great if it continued to work.

It should be pretty easy to create a file-backed encrypted container
that you can use for basic testing. Bonus points if you can also
use/test a device-backed container. Even a small USB key would be
enough. I use the device-backed container for my USB backup drive.

Doug