ibm-fancontrol.pl

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Jul 24 17:51:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:26:05 +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
 > On 07/23/12 20:47, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:03:53 +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
 > >   >  On 2012-07-23 13:57, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
 > >   >  >  For some reason Google refuses to tell me where it hides...

There's one hit now for "ibm-fancontrol.pl" .. your message :)  Without
the quotes shows some interesting stuff, but nothing FreeBSD-specific.
Such as: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed

 > > I'd like to generalise it for N speeds .. yours might include clues :)
 >
 > Well, it's not mine and the file has no references to the author, perhaps
 > he/she is on this list?

Or once was?  A mystery.  I don't recall having seen this one before.

 > It only requires p5-Proc-Daemon.
 >
 > I've been using it for older T's and X's with good results, never overheats
 > and seems to do a good balance between performance and temperature.

It's a lot more heavy duty, starting and stopping powerd and controlling
CPU freq directly too.  I like the direct mapping of temperatures to fan
speeds, though my normal operating range at idle is 44-48C, while on
full fan there's nothing I can run to get my T23 over ~80C in summer,
~65C winter (ie now :) so I wasn't looking at powerd interaction too.

FWIW, my little script lives at http://smithi.id.au/temp_t23