Any experience with ThinkPad T420/T520

Bernhard Schmidt bschmidt at freebsd.org
Tue May 31 05:57:39 UTC 2011

On Monday, May 30, 2011 18:54:31 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Sender: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt at techwires.net>
> > From: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt at freebsd.org>
> > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:15:53 +0200
> >
> > On Sunday, May 29, 2011 18:53:43 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > I'm about to order  new laptop and I am looking at a Lenovo ThinkPad
> > > T520. Does anyone have experience with this model? Anything that should
> > > cause alarm? I plan on getting the nVidia 4200N graphics which should
> > > work with the nVidia driver.
> >
> > What's the current state of "Optimus" support? Last time I've
> > checked the NVIDIA driver had no support for that so you might
> > be stuck with the Intel GPU.
> >
> Oops! I typed too quickly. I just found te thread on Optimus support and
> I'm scanning it now.

Honestly, I have no clue about the details. The only thing I know
is that there are 2 ways to switch between GPUs, a real hardware
switch (which should work on every system) and plain software, which
didn't last time I've checked, on either Linux or FreeBSD. That
bothered me quite a bit, decided to buy a "gamer notebook" which
clearly stated that it has no Optimus therefore.

--
Bernhard