Laptop recommendations?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:46:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:25 PM, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 07:34:24PM +0200, Bastian Rieck wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I need to replace my old IBM Thinkpad R50e, which is running FreeBSD
>> 8.2. Currently, my favoured replacement is a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520.
>
> I rather like the laptop I've been using for the past several months: a
> Dell Precision M4400.  I track stable/8 & head (in different slices) on
> it daily; it normally takes about an hour to take care of both of those.
>
> And it has a 1920x1200 display -- as well as 2 sets of 3 mouse buttons
> each (each of which works as expected).
>
> I have found that I sometimes manage to slide the "WiFi disable" switch
> to an unwanted setting accidentally, and the power connection slips out
> a little too easily, but those are about the worst things I can think of
> with respect to the hardware.

+! for Dells. I'm using a Dell Latitude E6410, which I could configure
with nvidia graphics (non 'Optimus'). The wireless is a Intel wireless
6000 class device, works fine under iwn(4), but I had a spare ath(4)
mini PCI-e card which I've put in there too, for hostap goodness.
Interestingly, it has both a mini pci-e and a half height mini pci-e,
so I have both cards in there atm!

I couldn't get suspend/resume to work, but I only tried closing the
lid, opening it again and thinking "hmm, that doesnt work".

The builtin webcam works fine with webcamd, and I've had it working in
skype with few issues.

Cheers

Tom