Laptop recommendations?

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 18:34:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Bastian Rieck <bastian at tecroots.net> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I need to replace my old IBM Thinkpad R50e, which is running FreeBSD
> 8.2. Currently, my favoured replacement is a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520.
> However, I am not sure how well FreeBSD would run on it. Is anyone
> using this laptop with FreeBSD? I ran several searches with Google,
> of course, but the models described in search results are either
> too old or too expensive,
> i.e. more than 1000 EUR...
>
> Consequently, I am also interested in other recommendations: If you are
> using an affordable laptop (say less than 600 EUR, i.e. 850 USD) with
> FreeBSD, please reply. My requirements are actually quite low: I need 3D
> acceleration (OpenGL) as I am developing scientific visualization
> software and a working WLAN card. Any extra features/hardware supported
> would be nice, but it is definitely _not_ a must.
>
> Thanks for your considerations.
>
> Kind regards,
>   Bastian
Two main issues. Graphics and wireless.

As far as wireless goes, look out for Lenovo "1x1" wireless. It's a
Realtek card and there is no support for it. The Intel cards
(Centrino) should do OK with IWN. I would be delighted if an Atheros
card would work, but Lenovo locks PCI IDs for wireless, so I suspect
Atheros won't work since Lenovo no longer sells them.

Almost all new systems use the integrated Intel 3000 GPU which won't
work with FreeBSD until GEM/KMS support is available. If you can find
AMD graphics or nVidia graphics OTHER THAN OPTIMUS, you are fine, but
I don't think this will be easy. Lenovo does sell some AMD based
laptops with Redeon graphics and hose might be your best bet.

Good luck! FreeBSD on laptops is a real problem ATM.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com