Drivers for network devices on new T520

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 16 18:49:59 UTC 2011

> From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:32:56 -0400
>
> On Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:05:22 pm Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
> > issues.
> >
> > First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
> > fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
> > installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
> > would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
> > 8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
> > makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
> > but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.
> >
> > I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
> > the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
> > driver to try.
> >
> > The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
> > none4 at pci0:3:0:0:      class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
> > rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor	= 'Realtek Semiconductor'
> >     class	= network
> >
> > and
> >
> > none1 at pci0:0:25:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x21ce17aa chip=0x15028086
> > rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor	= 'Intel Corporation'
> >     class	= network
> >     subclass	= ethernet
> >
> > This was transcribed by hand, but I think it is accurate.
> >
> > Do I have any hope? I can replace the wireless card, but the wired
> > Ethernet is of much greater concern.
>
> Hmmm, the Ethernet is going to be em or igb, but the problem is that
> a new device ID might not be enough as often when new device IDs are
> added to em/igb they come along with other changes to support stuff
> specific to that device ID.  Maybe try grabbing the sys/dev/e1000
> directory from 8.2 and dropping that into your 8.0 tree?  You could
> also just grab a tarball of the 8.2 kernel tree and stick that on a
> USB drive to copy it over to your laptop and then boot an 8.2 kernel
> (with the keyboard fix).

\me slaps head HARD.

This is the obvious solution. I spend all my time dealing with networks
and forget the days when floppies and the like were used for moving
stuff!

I'll try it as soon as I have time. I suspect that at least the will get
my wired working. The Realtek wireless may be another story. I suspect
I'll be looking for another card soon. :-(

Thanks for kicking my brain over to the right track!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)