Drivers for network devices on new T520

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 16 17:35:47 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:05:22 pm Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
> issues.
>
> First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
> fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
> installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
> would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
> 8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
> makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
> but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.
>
> I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
> the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
> driver to try.
>
> The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
> none4 at pci0:3:0:0:      class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>     vendor	= 'Realtek Semiconductor'
>     class	= network
>
> and
>
> none1 at pci0:0:25:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x21ce17aa chip=0x15028086
> rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
>     vendor	= 'Intel Corporation'
>     class	= network
>     subclass	= ethernet
>
> This was transcribed by hand, but I think it is accurate.
>
> Do I have any hope? I can replace the wireless card, but the wired
> Ethernet is of much greater concern.

Hmmm, the Ethernet is going to be em or igb, but the problem is that
a new device ID might not be enough as often when new device IDs are
added to em/igb they come along with other changes to support stuff
specific to that device ID.  Maybe try grabbing the sys/dev/e1000
directory from 8.2 and dropping that into your 8.0 tree?  You could
also just grab a tarball of the 8.2 kernel tree and stick that on a
USB drive to copy it over to your laptop and then boot an 8.2 kernel
(with the keyboard fix).

--
John Baldwin