Drivers for network devices on new T520

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 16 16:05:23 UTC 2011

Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
issues.

First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.

I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
driver to try.

The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
none4 at pci0:3:0:0:      class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor	= 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    class	= network

and

none1 at pci0:0:25:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x21ce17aa chip=0x15028086
rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
    vendor	= 'Intel Corporation'
    class	= network
    subclass	= ethernet

This was transcribed by hand, but I think it is accurate.

Do I have any hope? I can replace the wireless card, but the wired
Ethernet is of much greater concern.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)