WLAN / UMTS router Huawei E5

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Mon Jan 17 13:05:57 UTC 2011

Hello Matthias and list,

sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

> Someone from the FreeBSD' mobile users has this device in use: Huawei E5:
> [...]
> and could share some experience? Thanks in advance

Since nobody else with more experience on that thing has turned up:

There's rather little (Free)BSD specific about it: The E5 works as an
independent router with a WLAN and an UMTS/3G interface, offers a DHCP
server, NAT, as far as I know only vintage IPv4 but no IPv6, and runs
as an independent device, including its own battery.  Apparently it
can be connected directly via USB, but I have never bothered to try,
except to recharge the battery.  Instead I only use it as a standalone
device, and as such it works fine with me so far.  It has one possibly
annoying limitation: It can handle at most five clients at a time.

Beyond that it is significantly more expensive than a USB UMTS/3G
stick, but involves less fiddling around when on the road and lets one
place it near windows or wherever to improve the signal while one is
still free to move around in its vicinity.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6