Thinkpad T60 Xorg issues

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 6 02:31:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:32:59AM -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:19:18PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> >
> > >Ok. I removed 'AllowEmptyInput  "false"' directive and added
> > >'AutoAddDevices  "Off"'. I'm still not able to get the xf86 intel driver
> > >to work.
> > >
> > >If I let Xorg autogenerate, I don't get a display. I get the following
> > >Xorg.0.log file:
> > >
> > >http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/thinkpad_t60/Xorg.0.log_auto
> > >

> > >It seems to be seg faulting at:
> > >
> > >(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default keyboard>" (type:
> > >KEYBOARD)
> > >Segmentation fault: 11 at address 0x10
> > >
> > >As mentioned before, I don't have hald or dbus running.
> >
> > Looks like the intel part is fine, it's the keyboard that's the problem.
> > If you've built xorg-server without hal support, AutoAddDevices Off
> > should not be needed.
> >
> > Wait... did you install the x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard and -mouse
> > drivers?
>
> I installed x11/xorg-minimal. It is quite possible that
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard and x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> did not get installed. I suspect they are not listed as build-depends
> for x11/xorg-minimal.
>
> I don't have access to the laptop right now. I will check later tonight
> and report.
>
> I think you may have nailed the problem.
>
> Thanks very much for your help.

I do have xf85-input-keyboard and -mouse installed.

joji at peace> pkg_info | grep -E "(keyboard|mouse)"
xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0 X.Org keyboard input driver
xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0 X.Org mouse input driver
xkbcomp-1.1.0       Compile XKB keyboard description
xkeyboard-config-1.8_1 X Keyboard Configuration Database

So that wasn't the problem.

Any other ideas?

When I use the intel driver, I see the screen and the mouse pointer for
a split second before it crashes.