USB CD drive won't play audio CDs

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Sun Nov 14 22:33:34 UTC 2010

Hi fellow geek :-)

Juergen Lock writes:
 >  In your other post you talk about testing audio playback using
 > cdcontrol play...  the problem with that is it depends on a
 > drive's internal audio hw, whose output may not be connected (likely
 > a headphone jack in case of an external drive) or it may even be
 > nonexistant as I suspect is the case with your drive because of
 > the errors you get.  The more `modern' way to play audio cds is
 > to use digital audio extraction (dae) over the ata/usb/scsi bus
 > and play that using the computer's own soundcard, I usually test
 > that via mplayer whose port I build with the cdparanoia OPTION:
 >
 > 	mplayer -cache 8192 -cdrom-device /dev/cdX cdda://

Thanks for these explanations, I didn't realize my methods from the
days of yore are so outdated! cdparanoia and mplayer work out of the
box as long as the /dev/cd0 permissions are properly set (which I had
done already).

 >  (And I'm sure you can find other audio players in ports that can
 > do dae, I just usually rip audio cds instead of playing them
 > directly.)

This is probably the way to go, given the current HDD sizes. This way
I won't have to haul the CD drive, which is a good thing anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka