Acer Travelmate 8371 bricked by installing FreeBSD?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Nov 11 17:22:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> was heard to say:
>
>> The net effect was that wiping out the first partition caused it to stop at
>> boot.  It's been long enough now that I can't recall how I restored the
>> drive; may have taken it out and connected to another machine.  The restore
>> was just an original image of the drive, which I always do (and suggest)
>> before allowing the system a first boot.  Clonezilla is great for this.
>
> Great news :-(  Next time I'll be wiser, hopefully. But if that strange
> partition is indeed required for booting up, I guess my only option is to
> ship the brick to Acer and have them put on a fresh disk image, given that
> there are no recovery disks included.

The Acer UK site has BIOS downloads:
http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3427/~/updating-the-bios-on-the-travelmate-8331,-8371-and-8371g-series

Restore disks may be free, depending on the age of the computer and the
unhappiness of the customer.  Can't find a direct link on that site, may
require email.