hardlocks in 8-CURRENT

Rui Paulo rpaulo at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 11 06:54:48 UTC 2010

On 9 Mar 2010, at 17:54, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> El día Tuesday, March 09, 2010 a las 07:16:35PM +1100, Peter Jeremy
> escribió:
>
>> On 2010-Mar-08 15:20:05 +0100, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de>
>> wrote:
>>> from time to time I encounter that the laptop after opening the
>>> lid is
>>> just locked, i.e. hardlocked and does not even respond on ping
>>> from other
>>> places; I did tests to see when it crashes, i.e. if it is based on
>>> the
>>> movement, of WLAN AP re-connect or whatever; I now always first
>>> open it, work a
>>> while across WLAN and then plug-in the power; the lock occurs only
>>> on
>>> the plug-in of the power-supply;
>>>
>>> any idea what to do next for debugging this? thanks
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> Thanks for your reply;
>

>> Firstly, 8-current means you're running a build more than 3 months
>> old.
>
> do be more exactly: it is a 8-CURRENT based on CVS checkout from end
> of
> May 2009;
>
>> Have you considered upgrading?
>
> this is at the moment no option because it is my laptop to do real
> work
> all day;

I think that it's not expected for CURRENT to be very stable and it's
more less expected that you are able to follow current because sooner
or later  you'll have problems like the one you have. I suggest you
run STABLE.

That aside, hardlocks are hard to debug, specially while on X. My
first try would be to remove drivers one by one.

--
Rui Paulo