hardlocks in 8-CURRENT

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue Mar 9 10:15:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-Mar-09 09:54:49 +0100, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
>do be more exactly: it is a 8-CURRENT based on CVS checkout from end of
>May 2009;

OK.

>When the lock occurs I'm in X11 (KDE 3.5.x); the only key which works is
>pressing power-button for some seconds, i.e. full power-off;

Can you try switching to a VTY0 before connecting power and see if
anything shows up.

>> What (if any) power management are you running?  Do you have acpi_throttle
>> enabled - if so, you could try disabling it.
>
>Is this to be done in rc.conf or via sysctl? I have nothing set about
>acpi_throttle;

acpi_throttle would be enabled in the kernel config or via kld.
Power management is enabled with something like the following in rc.conf:
powerd_enable="YES"
performance_cx_lowest="HIGH"   # Online CPU idle state
performance_cpu_freq="HIGH"    # Online CPU frequency
economy_cx_lowest="LOW"        # Offline CPU idle state
economy_cpu_freq="LOW"         # Offline CPU frequency

>What else would be handy?

Hardware details, output from sysctl's dev.cpu and hw.acpi, dmesg,
output from kenv.  If possible, dev.cpu.*.freq just before it hangs (I
realise this may be difficult).

--
Peter Jeremy